Proj: ESP8266 Remote temperature and humidity sensor
You will need:
- NodeMCU or similar but the pin references will be different
- DHT11 or DHT22 temperature and humidity sensor
- jumper wires - in the simplest form three female-female wires, ideally red, black and some different colour
An internet connection is also required, or at least a wireless LAN that you can access from a PC.
Connect DHT sensor:
- black wire to Gnd
- red wire to Vcc
- coloured wire to Data
- black wire to Gnd (the one near D4 is a good position)
- red wire to 3V3 (the one next to D4 is a good position)
- coloured wire to D4 (which is actually GPIO2)
Now install the library Adafruit / DHT-sensor-library  by pressing the 'Download ZIP' button in GitHub, opening the resulting ZIP and copying the resulting folder to the arduino/libraries folder.
Open the Arduino IDE and under File / Examples you should now see "DHT sensor library" and a sketch DHTtester which you should open.
Near the top check that the line "#define DHTTYPE DHTxx" references the right type of sensor and change the pin in "#define DHTPIN x" to 2 (GPIO2 which is D4 on the NodeMCU).
<--Just below that change the value of 'ssid' to -->
Open the serial monitor window, upload the sketch and watch.
(Coming soon - the 'wireless' side of this example)